Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Day

What was my day like? Let's see.
Boldly pointing out hostility.
Watching a problem miraculously solve itself.
Trying to coordinate the not-so-well coordinated.
Slowly getting to know the others in this work space.
Feeling awkward as a participant in team-building activities; it's hard to do activities for their bonding and growth purpose when I know the "trick" to making the activity "work". Nonetheless, there were some interesting metaphors that the activities uncovered about the group that gave me some interesting insight. I wonder if others caught it too.
Sometimes it's hard to follow rather than facilitate. But isn't that in some ways what facilitating is? Not always leading, but rather following the group and herding them in the direction that they're probably already going.
Finding a small, not so well known sandwich shop for lunch, and beating the rush.
Eating lunch on the diag between a boy reading Italian who looked like he stepped out of a Jack Kerouac novel, and a fan club recruiting members.
Hearing the facts, myths, and legends that I've heard a hundred times from the tour guides passing by. I can't help but smile.
Meetings need action. Otherwise we're just talking at posters, and posters don't often talk back, or change their tune.
Calling people out about needing to follow through with their responsibility, and then of course having them get upset, understandable I suppose.
Wondering if I was in fact too hard on them, and wondering if it will roll off or unfurl itself into a problematic plume.
Sticking my feet out the window.
Inspecting the maple tree for signs of fall.
A person crying in my office.
A broken fax machine.
A quick switch and a problem (hopefully) solved.
A friend in need of a ranting outlet.
An ever-growing "long-term" list.

This is my rambling purge.

There are days when I feel like a social worker. One that wants to clock out at six and have someone else hear the highs and lows of my day. And to hear theirs. Why is it somehow easier to take on the weight and stress and joy of someone else's ordinary and extraordinary when they stand in front of you and ask the same, "how was your day?" Maybe it's talking over food. Maybe it's tangenting off into hilariously random jokes and stories and banter, only to wrap back around to something heard on npr this morning. Or maybe it's just having a place to express the things that can't necessarily be said by words.

No comments: