Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Stalking the Church Lady

Driving to Southgate today, I got stuck behind the Church Lady. It was the icon Dana Carvy strived to be. Floofy, almost beehive hair, huge sunglasses, deep creases in her skin from her face being pulled into a perpetual grimace. Beside her in the cross and rosaries decorated car was a small woman, with darker hair and glasses. I could just picture this Church Lady, driving the needy to Meijer, all the while emitting a constant stream of commentary about the "sinners" on the road.

She was one of those annoying drivers that is going about two miles per hour too slow, but there never seemed to be room or time enough to pass. That off-green/blue laSabre that just wouldn't go away.

Now Church Lady wouldn't be all that memorable, except for this. After losing her at a Meijer in Taylor, continuing on to my meeting in Southgate, then heading back to Ann Arbor over an hour later, Murphy's inevitable happened; Church Lady pulled out in front of me. And I was stuck behind her again. For ten miles.

Seriously, what are the odds?

No comments: