Saturday, September 15, 2007

Two Feet Planted

I hobnob with the hoity-toity at invitation-only tailgate parties,
my arms and hands still covered in paint I wasn't able to scrub off an hour before, hidden by my ratty sweatshirt.

I schmooze with deans, regents, and high-rolling donors,
but open doors and step back to let others through the way the wait staff is expected to do.

Parking lots fill with RVs and custom-painted vans with plasma screens tvs,
while a man in a Harvard shirt pushes a grocery cart full of cans along the sidewalk.

Fans who have been on waiting lists for years to get season football tickets
walk past varsity volleyball players handing out stickers, trying to get people to come watch their team.

111,000 people spend 3+ hours of their lives cheering, singing, being angry and being happy,
all in the spirit of the game.

Fresh mozzarella and nachos.
Guest lists and bleacher seats.
How expansive our lives (even in a microcosm) have the possibility of being.

No comments: