My knee gave out on me today, for no apparent reason. One moment I was running down the tree-lined street, and the next my knee would have none of it, halting me right where my foot landed. Usually I can deal with these sorts of issues, while running or otherwise; identify a cause, and work through it. With this one though, there was no solution (mental or physical) to be had. Sit on the sidewalk or walk home. Those were my options.
I've never been good at irrationality. Topics of logic I can unpack, consider from different perspectives, try to understand, and determine a course of action. The illogical, the irrational, particularly for those I long to fix, those are the moments that trouble me.
I'm generally good at what I do because I can usually find a logic, a reason for the way things work, or the way they should. And yet it is often the irrationalities, the things that can't be explained, that make life, life. Why do certain events turn out the way they do? Why does a coin land on heads versus tails? Why does certain music captivate us? Why are we drawn to beauty? How do we define beauty? Why do we feel what we feel?
Strangely, this lover of logic is trying not to always be interested in all the scientific explanations. I suppose I will always search for the reasoning behind moments and experiences I don't like, that I wish I could change. And I certainly over think mysteries that are probably best left outside the realms of scrutiny. That mystery, that magic, that enigma of why life twists and turns and brings us to those glorious happenings, those wonderful moments, I guess in some ways, I like being able to marvel at the beautiful absence of logic. Perhaps, sometimes, I like not having to consider the rationality.

No comments:
Post a Comment