Saturday, June 30, 2007

Things that I do to get ready for a big trip:



We're talking trip to Europe here. And yes, I'm an over-planning dork. Bordering on OCD. And proud of it thank you. Here's the list (subject to additions of course):

-Contact bank and credit card companies to inform them of dates I'll be out of the country.
-Purchase pre-paid credit card to reduce ATM withdrawal charges while abroad.
-Confirm all PIN numbers.
-Write down card numbers and international phone number for all bank and card companies.
-Write itinerary including all flight numbers, address, and contact phone numbers.
-Make copies of all information--and passport--and distribute one copy to every piece of luggage (two, thank you, I try to travel light), one on me, and leave one with a friend at home.
-Contact the postal service to hold my mail while I'm gone.
-Select reading material and consider approximate amount of reading time vs. weight of book.
-Update and charge iPod.
-Consider wearing a basic band ring on left hand to avoid flirtations if necessary (could be fun, in which case rings come off... then again I'd rather just travel).
-Arrange with friend to stop by the house, make sure things are in order, and water plants.
-Move plants to one location for easy watering by friend.
-Arrange pick up from the airport, and give this generous person the flight number and web address to check for delays and cancellations before heading to the airport.
-Write down a list of phone numbers of backup rides in case the pre-arranged person is unable to make it.
-Accept the fact (and hopefully enjoy it) that the unexpected and unplanned for can and will happen.
-Unplug selected appliances including electric kettle and computer.
-Post automated response e-mail message letting people know when I will respond to their messages.
-Change voicemail message to indicate when I will be available to return their calls.
-Clean out fridge to avoid science experiments upon return.
-Remove trash to avoid need for breathing masks upon return.
-Ensure that there is a small amount of not-so-perishable food available so that I don't go into hypoglycemic shock before I can get to a grocery store.
-Cut fingernails to avoid scratching myself or needing to carry a "potentially dangerous" object on a plane.
-Make a list of addresses for postcards.
-Brush up on language skills for various countries I will be visiting.
-Tie easy-to-identify strip of fabric to luggage.
-Take picture of luggage so that, if lost, this picture can shown to airport officials.
-Practice origami so that I can leave small peace cranes at our various stops along the trip.
-Charge camera batteries.
-Boost immune system by increasing selected vitamin supplements.

And don't even get me started on packing...

No comments: