Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Unwind

I write, and wonder what on earth I'm rambling about. Does it matter? Does anyone gain anything from reading these things, or are they simply self-indulgent purges; an inadequate substitute for having someone to unwind with at the end of the day, share random quips and observances, and consider the spanses of intellectual issues to ridiculous and funny details of our world, or wacky imagination. Maybe it is self-indulgence; I picked a canvas that has the possibility of being seen over blank pages in a book that will end up on a shelf, one day perhaps be read by my grandchildren. Or maybe it's just the technological age. Who knows.

So sights from the day. Let's see. Tasty lunch I was organized enough to make and bring myself (a rarity it seems these days); I almost could pass for an organized, responsible adult. Nah. Comfort in clarifying the dresscode; the girls will be disappointed, but no more dress shoes necessary for me, it's back to practicality. Popping in to an interview and wondering if that level of awkward silence is normal, or if I'm just overly talkative when I'm the one under scrutiny. Glad to see students back in some ways, but hating walking past the porches and yards filled with beer-pong playing boys at 5 in the afternoon. I always feel uncomfortable being near those spaces, but the gauntlet has been opened; at least until the cold weather comes. Hopefully then the walk home will be more meditative.

Saw two little boys, brothers, maybe three and six, crying on the sidewalk across the street, the youngest trying to go towards the busy road, the older unable to carry him home in the other direction. I ran over and scooped the youngest up, assuring the older that it wasn't his fault--I didn't want to listen to my sister at that age either--and took them back to their house a few doors down. I wondered, as I carried this child who probably doesn't recognize me, if either he or his brother were panicked by the sight of a stranger entering their world, but neither seemed to mind. Indeed, the youngest didn't resist as I lifted him into my arms. I marvel at their trust. Is it a product of young naivety? A lack of fear? Or a feeling of trust and comfort in their neighborhood? Mom and dad weren't freaked out by my actions either. Perhaps it is trust, feeling at home in their community.

And suddenly the days is gone. A not-so-busy day just yet, but nonetheless time for bed I suppose, before the rambling continues. :-) Goodnight.

No comments: