Monday, September 08, 2008

Another Year Older...

I got my dad's usual birthday question.

"Any profundities?"

And honestly, I couldn't think of any.

"Eat cheesecake." It seemed like a good metaphor, while simultaneously contradicting some of my more closely held beliefs.

My mom says that in German lore the next year (or next next year) is a year of great change. Maybe. I hope so. And I also, maybe just a little, fear so. They say change is inevitable. There are times when I wish that wasn't true, and times when I feel as though I will go insane if they continue this way, but I plod along because I must, hoping change is just around the corner.

You make you're own luck. You can't control everything. Take risks. Plan ahead. Think positive. Prepare for disappointment so you can only be surprised by joy. Hope is a good thing. Believe in people. Be honest. Love openly. See the opportunity. Pay it forward.

There are profundities abound, brought to us in short, sweet little catch phrases. Maybe they're cliches. Maybe they've become cliches because, regardless of who you are, they are true. Sometimes they are contradictory, sometimes they are not. Life is logical, and life is illogical. I'm not sure that it will ever be possible, at any age, to encapsulate all of its vast lessons, its possibilities, its idiosyncrasies, in words.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Let's see what tomorrow brings.


... in the mean time, I'll take my joys in moments like this.

No comments: