Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Subject exhibits inability to sit down and shut up

Once upon a time this trait was called "precocious", and maybe even encouraged in classrooms where it was feared that girls would not have enough confidence to voice their opinions.

Now I think I might just be classified as annoying.

Here's the challenge: if you know a way that works, do you a) voice your opinion, suggestions, and experiences, or b) allow the group to go through the learning process (even if it can be annoying a hell to when you have to deal with the problematic ramifications that you can see brewing in the distance... this isn't a very subjective question is it?). Part of me says that they have brought in and relied upon my expertise in the past, so it's okay for me to just continue to offer suggestions. The other part of me says "um, hello? remember that whole "learning experience" thing you always preach about? Let them learn! And by the way, you don't know everything! (shocker I know.)"

Clearly this is not a recent problem, just a reflection on a recent occurrence. I guess the problem has always been that, although I want people to learn, we always manage to be in situations where we also need to get something done. Ah the never-ending battle of process vs. product. The process IS the product, except that said process won't get funded unless it produces another, more tangible product as well.

Bored by my rambling yet? I am.

Educational/leadership style in a nutshell (as of 11/14/06 at 10:23 p.m.): If I can provide as much information and knowledge as possible, in a way that people are able to learn, understand, and appreciate, they will have the tools to move further, ask questions, and push beyond any success that I may have experienced at one time, so that these organizations and groups can move forward and make a difference in the lives of those involved, and in the community. Does/will it work? Ask someone else; I've already talked too much this evening.

No comments: