Friday, October 23, 2009

falls to rest

In my family we call them supernovas
just before darkness
when a star bursts big and bright
loud with energy and song of growth and life
more than a body ought to contain
an explosion of light and sound
before, almost unexpectedly,
though we know it's coming
the light fades
dark and quiet.

And the child falls to rest.

Looking up, I can't help but notice the brilliant gold
leaves so bright with color
I wonder how any living soul can walk by
without noticing the echoing aria that it sings.
The final explosion of song and color
contrasting against the dark, but solid, frame.

The performance catches our attention and consumes the moment
it is beautiful to the eye
but soon it will fall away
leaving only the strong and once shadowed backbone
and it will go quiet.

And the child falls to rest.

*

Perhaps it is ironic
that these words clatter to the page late in the night
I know I must close the day
but instead the vitality quickens
seemingly without reason
bursting energy
all I want to do is run
throw my arms wide
cast myself in every direction
as though this life must be released before it is wasted
must be released before I am worthy of sleep.
And then, always unexpectedly, the quiet is accepted
and the day is done.

And the child falls to rest.

No comments: