Wednesday, March 11, 2009

If a tree falls in the woods, and no one hears it, does it make a sound?

If an idea is thought, but never recorded or shared, does it exist?
If a feeling is unacknowledged or unexpressed, is it truly felt at all?

I go through cycles of wondering why this blog exists. Is it to express? Is it to be known? Seems like life should be lived, and experiences shared and expressed with other in person. Then, when there is no one to listen or share with, perhaps this venue does have a purpose--so that I can better understand, through expression.

Then again, it's never just one-way. Expression is a conversation, and listening is just as valuable as speaking (perhaps more so). In that case, shouldn't I be making a better effort to learn how to say it honestly and confidently to people in the flesh, rather than the nebulous world of cyberspace that may, or may not (how do I know? does it matter?) be read, and rarely responds?

I thumbed through old letters I've sent and received, and it's curious to see where and who I was. Some things change and some things stay, they always will and always do, but it seems that only in hindsight can I really understand where I've traveled. It's only through these expressions of self, and the interpretations expressed by those who are or were once close (and, perhaps even the observations of those who are seemingly strangers), that my understanding of importance, perspective, the world, everything, becomes more clear. Sometimes I marvel at how well other read that which I think I keep hidden, and, conversely, how I express that which I may not intend. It's good to have those around you who are willing to be a mirror, and a light.

... and those who are able to catch the rambling, and don't mind trying to make sense of it. :-)

So maybe there will be more expression here. Maybe there will not. It depends on who's listening, and how... or not.

G'night.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

I'm listening/reading! I always enjoy your "ramblings"... they help me to recenter myself on the important things, which you always seem to have so clearly in your sights. So, thanks for that! Keep writing :).