I once had a my AmeriCorps director tell me, "We are not necessarily the do-ers, we are the facilitators of do." Another colleague said that, although I am a do-er (and a good one at that), I'm not meant to do projects--I'm meant to supervise and facilitate other do-ers. While I understand my propensity to see solutions and connections, and recognize an ability to put systems in place to make things happen, the simple truth is that, deep down, all I want to be some times is a do-er. I like doing laundry and finding screws and washers in my pockets. I like considering in the theoretical and imaginative and working in the tangible. I like being given a problem and having to use my mind AND hands to find a solution. I like being able to get dirty, to be physical, and be tired from carrying, creating, caring--rather than tired from doing nothing other than sending nine hundred emails.
Sometimes I think of teachers as the ants that have climbed up the stem, and are now holding their place to help lift others to higher posts where they too can change the world. In some respects I find solace and pride in creating the spaces where others can learn and impact the world. I can shine with happiness when I see my students out there connecting with others and making a change. But I cannot deny that, as much as I can logically love teaching and facilitating, sometimes all I want to do is get my hands in there, use tools and materials, work as part of a team to create a product.
Sometimes, all I want to do, is do.

No comments:
Post a Comment